Montag, 9. Mai 2011

I'm a temp.

Today I have experienced something very interesting and believe it or not: It has nothing to do with food. 
I’ve been at a recruitment company that seeks people for temporary office roles such as personal or administration assistants. When the lady I dealt with first rang me, she told me about some tests I would have to take in order to display my skills in Word and Excel. I didn’t really worry about that because I work with Word all the time and two glasses of nice red wine made me believe that Excel shouldn’t be a problem as well.
First of all I had to fill out a lot of forms about my current situation, my criminal career, my health and a lot of other things that reminded me very much of the visa process I’ve been going through lately. As I have never been involved in any crime apart from not thanking the bus driver before leaving the bus, I felt comfortable about giving the company all the information they wanted.
But then … THE TEST … put a bitter end to my comfort. I actually did quite well at Word although I had to take the test using an English and (what’s even worse) PC version of the programme. Excel though was a real pain in the ass. I am so sorry about swearing but there is just no other way to express what I think about this useless crap-programme. I had no clue what I was doing, but somehow clicked my way to a result of 37% and was allowed to take the next “challenge”.
And now that’s where it gets really interesting. When I was about 12 years old, I used to do heaps of IQ tests. (Yes, I was a strange little kid.) Today, these ridiculous tests suddenly appeared in my life again: I was asked to find the opposite of “dark” and complete number rows such as “2, 4, 8, 16, 32 …”. Honestly!
So now I know that Word is my friend, I am never going to talk to Excel again and being a strange little kid can be worthwhile at some stage of life … although I am quite confident that I
might even have passed the IQ test with a more exiting childhood.
Anyway: I am now registered for temporary office work. Excel obviously wasn’t that important after all. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen